Thursday, February 4, 2010

Empowerment (02/04/10)

I split my walk up again today. I put the kids in the stroller and walked to my son's school and then took the "long way" home with my daughter. After my husband got home from work, I did another half hour walk to finish my workout. I'm tired, but it doesn't feel like I did a 4 mile walk all at once. There really is something to this stopping and taking a break.

I'm still tossing fundraising ideas around in my head and need to decide on a few to get things moving again on that front. I am in awe that I'm as far along as I am less than a month after signing up to do the walk. My friends and family are truly amazing!

I am also marveling at how internally "driven" about this event I've become. There is a sense of empowerment you get when you take something like this on. There's a small part of me that says, *I* am finding a cure for this disease. I don't quite understand it, because of course, logically, I'm not the one stopping this disease, and I don't even know how long it might take for anyone to get to that point. The skeptic in me asks, is it even possible to find a cure? All I'm doing is walking, raising awareness, and raising funds that will go to the folks who are most likely to help find better treatments/prevention and some day a cure.

I think it's the Hope that doing something like this gives you though that makes you feel a little like a super hero. Being part of something so much bigger than yourself. Having a belief that we CAN beat this. Having a belief that a solution is out there. Seeing other people around you who also have that vision and that Hope and that commitment.

I knew when I took this on that I had signed up for something amazing. It's impossible for me to express in words just how amazing a process this has been so far, and I've only barely started down this road.

Fundraising: Total: $2,055.00
Training: 4.1 miles in 1 hour 25 minutes
Total miles to date: 43.8

No comments:

Post a Comment