Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hallmark of a 3-day Walker (02/21/10)

I looked at the sky this morning before I headed out for my walk and I thought, "It could rain," but I decided not to take the rain poncho with me because I didn't think rain was that likely. I watched the clouds as I walked my longest walk yet. Some were dark and foreboding, parts of the sky were blue and the sun peeked through on occasion. I couldn't really predict what might happen while I was out. Did the threat of a little rain deter me? Most definitely not. I think this is one of the hallmarks of 3-day walkers. The unknown, the uncomfortable, the untried or the unusual don't deter us. We do not back down from a challenge. I want to reach this goal. I want to stop this disease. I'm not going to let a little rain stop me.

About an hour and a half into my walk it began to sprinkle. Then it really began to rain. I was at a point in my walk where I could have been at home in 5 minutes, and I chose to keep going instead. I actually kind of enjoyed walking in the rain. The only uncomfortable part was that my shoes were getting wet. The rest of it didn't bug me. There's something refreshing and wonderful about the rain falling on you when you are not "worried" about being wet.

So for all you 3-day walkers out there, don't let things deter you. It's not always easy. It's definitely not always comfortable. The walking, the fundraising, the weather are all challenging in their own ways --- for instance, I'm NOT looking forward to walking during the hot summer days in Sunny S. CA. I won't let it stop me though. Keep going, find ways to make it more comfortable for yourself and keep your eyes on why you are doing this. We are all "being the change we want to see in the world", and that is an amazingly wonderful thing.

Fundraising: Total: $2,205.00
Training: 5.8 miles in 2 hours
Total miles to date: 84.7

No comments:

Post a Comment