Saturday, February 6, 2010

Walking in the Rain (02/06/10)

Took my first walk in the rain today. When I woke up it was pouring, but by the time I had eaten and gotten dressed for my walk, the rain had slowed quite a bit. I debated as to whether I should go out in it or go to the local mall to do my walk, and eventually decided the rain couldn't be that bad. I put on my old shoes (I'm not ready to subject my brand new expensive shoes to the wet just yet) and a thin plastic rain poncho and headed out. Most of the time I was out there, it was just sprinkling and spitting. There was a 10 minute downpour, complete with pretty strong wind and I loved every minute of it. As a matter of fact, when it stopped and went back to mild sprinkles I was a bit disappointed.

I don't know why I hesitated to go out in the rain. I had forgotten that when I did a study abroad in Glasgow, Scotland when I was in college that it rained most days there. I walked to the university every day, and umbrellas are pretty useless because of the wind. So I had gotten quite used to bundling up, having good shoes that kept my feet dry and just walking there no matter what the weather was like. I found today's walk invigorating and refreshing. It made me think about the fact that we drive everywhere in our culture. We don't walk. We don't experience the rain or the trees or the ground or the clouds or the mountains in our everyday life. There's something not quite right about that. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity today to have been reminded how nice it can be to experience the elements on an ordinary day.

Fundraising: Total: $2,055.00
Training: 3.9 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes
Total miles to date: 48.6

(02/05/10)

Fundraising: Total: $2,055.00
Training: 0.9 miles on the elliptical in 30 minutes
Total miles to date: 44.7

No comments:

Post a Comment